Monday, January 25, 2010

SNGF - My Other Life

This week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun topic is to write about other interests away from genealogy and family history research.

Besides being a wife and mother of two, I also work full-time outside the home. I am rapidly approaching my busiest time of year which will last for about two and a half months. I will be exhausted and cranky before it's over, but I do enjoy the work....just not the long hours.

I have been a lifelong lover of books. I remember the great joy I had when I could first read independently in about first grade and it is a joy that has never wavered. Some of the best gifts people can give me are books. I like a wide variety of genres but especially enjoy authors like Janet Evanovich, Lisa See, Sarah Addison Allen, and Sandra Brown to name a few.

B.C. (that would be Before Children), I used to cross-stitch. It was something I learned when I was about 8 years old and have stitched many projects and have a lot more "in progress" i.e. I lost interest and never finished them. While in college, my sister and I took tole painting lessons and I loved it. Alas, the "help" from two little ones isn't necessarily conducive to these type of crafts.

In more recent years I have taken up rubber stamping and scrapbooking. I have a couple of great friends who are much more creative than I could ever hope to be and we share a lot of good times while stamping. The scrapbooking area is more recent and I'm not really very good. I think I over-analyze the end result too much and it takes me much too long to complete a page, let alone an album. I am hoping to try digital later this spring. I think I will have better luck with producing more pages and finally getting to some of the many important photos of my children.

My one other big interest is old movies. Thank goodness for Netflix and TCM. I especially am drawn to movies from the 1940s and 1950s, decades before I was born. I think it started because my husband had taken a film class in college and kept talking about all these old "classics" that I had never seen. I am slowly whittling down the list I want to see.

There just isn't enough time in my day to do all the fun things I like so I take it in snippets of an hour here or there.

2 comments:

  1. I like rubber stamping and scrapbooking too as well as old movies. My mom and I used to watch and dance to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I like to make special cards for people to cheer them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a lot of great dancers from that era, but nothing compares to Fred and Ginger! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete